As the cooler weather starts to kick in, many of us start to think about putting away the flip-flops and opting for trainers instead. While warming up is important, there’s another element that we’re forgetting – keeping ourselves amused while we exercise.
After all, who wants to run on a treadmill for an hour?
If you want to stay fit this winter, here are some brilliant ways to exercise and keep entertained at the same time.
1) Swimming laps is a great way to get fit, but it’s not that much fun if you’re alone.
Try joining a swimming club – there are plenty of them around where people go every week to swim laps in a group. Not only will you be able to chat, but it’s also easier to push yourself further if you know there are others waiting for you.
2) Tennis and badminton are both fantastic sports which require good hand/eye coordination and concentration – perfect for when someone else is holding the ball.
You can play them as a couple, or get your friends together and have a tournament. You’ll burn loads of calories, but you’ll be having so much fun that time will slip by.
3) If you’ve got kids, then don’t forget to include them in your fitness plan. There are brilliant ways to exercise with children at any age, from ‘Froggy’ swimming lessons to trampolining sessions.
4) When it comes to exercising as a couple, you don’t always have to go out – although that is great! Why not create your own workout at home? You could do dance routines together or play an old-fashioned form of tag while jumping up and down the stairs.
5) Grab your iPod and hit the streets. I love running, but you can’t beat listening to music while doing it! If you get tired easily of songs, why not download a podcast such as Radio 4’s ‘ I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue ‘ or listen to audiobooks? There are many other podcasts you could download which provide good, clean fun and help to keep your brain active.
6) Swot up with a fitness DVD! You can get everything from yoga to belly dancing workouts. There are so many options out there that one of them is bound to be suitable for you. It doesn’t matter how busy you are, either – you could do the workout in 20-minute bursts throughout the day.
7) If you like swimming but don’t have time to go to a club, why not create your own poolside routine? You can get fantastic results from very basic exercise if it’s done repeatedly and with enthusiasm!
8 ) For those of us who love a bit of competition, there’s nothing better than playing sport with someone else. Whether it’s indoor or outdoor sports, you can burn hundreds of calories during an hour-long match. Don’t forget to have fun – and be sure to play fair!
9) It’s important not to neglect your core muscles when exercising in the winter. A great way to keep them strong is by doing crunches. You can do them every day and you’ll be amazed by how much they help your posture and general fitness levels.
In conclusion, there are many activities that can be done to keep fit in the winter, so you’ll never have a reason not to exercise. Weigh up what kind of exercises you enjoy and do them regularly. The more you practice, the better off you’ll be!